Monday, December 23, 2013

Letter Hiatus

Some of you might be wondering where the Letter of the Week posts have been.  I assure you, I haven't fallen off the alphabet-wagon.  We are just in the middle of what I like to call a "Letter Hiatus."  If you read the previous post, you know we made an Advent Calendar.  The first week of Advent, we still learned letter I, but I realized that I was getting a bit stressed trying to fit everything in.  The former teacher in me wanted to press on and do the letters as planned, but then I reminded myself that I do not have a set curriculum that needs to be finished by a certain time, and I originally started this whole Parker Prep endeavor for something for Parker and I to enjoy.  I came to the conclusion that Advent and Christmas activities would take over for the month of December, and we would start back up with letter J in January.  Perfect!

Aside from reading the Advent scripture every night (well almost every night), we did a variety of Christmas and Advent activities.  I just kind of fit them in whenever.  They were a lot of fun!

We got out the felt tree I made him last year.


Baked a gingerbread family.




Strung a candy cane


and hung it on the tree.


Sorted bows


and painted with them.


Made salt-dough ornaments.  I didn't like any of the finished products, but Parker had a great time rolling out the dough.  


Filled in these pictures with pattern blocks.






Ordered the paper strips from largest to smallest


to make a Christmas Tree.


Put stickers on paper ornaments and strung them together.


And played roll-the-dice nativity.  


 so.much.fun

We read quite a few books.  Here are some of our favorites.








Hope you all have a great time celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ!
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment