Thursday, December 12, 2013

I is for Ice Cream

We made it to letter I!  We're about 1/3 of the way through the alphabet and I think Parker is learning a lot.  This week got a little crazy because we started doing Advent Activities, too.  More about that in the next post.  All in all, it was a fun week!

Day 1

We started out by singing "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."  Then we sang 
"Immanuel, Immanuel
His name is called, Immanuel.
God with us. Be near to us.
His name is called, Immanuel." 

We talked about how that is another name for Jesus, and that it started with "I."  
Then we did this little activity on the board.


We reviewed letters A-H and their verses, and then learned Letter I.  I love when we say each letter's verse.  Parker remembers them better than I do!  Then we learned this week's verse,

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind." - Jeremiah 32:27   

For our Intro to Letter I activity, I used scotch tape to make upper and lower case I's on a cookie sheet and had him trace it with ice cubes.  He loved it!



Of course he wanted to eat one.


Next, we did what I called an "Ink Experiment."  I poured some vinegar into a divided formula container, and tinted each section with a different color.  Then I covered the bottom of an 8x8 dish with baking soda and a little bit of water.  Every time he dropped the ink into the dish it sizzled and expanded.  It was pretty cool!  He played with it for quite a while, and then ended up dumping the whole container of vinegar in to the dish =)


Then Daddy did this book with him.


And we read


Day 2

I checked out an Insect Discovery Pack from the library for today. It was full of fun ways to learn about insects.  First, we read a little book that told us about what makes an insect an insect - they have three parts to their body, they have six legs, and they have two antenna's.  Then we used a magnifying glass to look closely at all sorts of different insects.


It also had a special eyeglass that showed you what it's like to look through a fly's eye, an insect match game, a butterfly sequencing page, and a few books including this one.


Day 3

  I have to mention that the night before we were reading our Advent Calendar reading, 

"Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a great sign.  Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she shall call His name Immanuel." - Isaiah 7:14 

and Parker said, "Mom! It said Immanuel like in preschool!"  I LOVE when things cross-over like that!  We started out today by discussing what we read the night before and singing "Immanuel."
We also counted to 30 and recalled the different things we'd already learned about that started with letter I.  Then we did this ice cream cone letter matching game.





Next, we read 


discussed the sequence, and played with this sensory dish full of sprinkles, large puff balls, cupcake tins, and an ice cream scoop.  We had a great time making ice cream sundae's together.




Finally, we went to a friend's house and brought the ingredients to make ice cream in a bag.  The boys had a great time shaking and throwing the bag around, and an even better time eating it up! 


That's it for I!












No comments:

Post a Comment