Tuesday, November 26, 2013

H is for Honey

Happy H Week!  Here's what we did.

Day 1
For songs this week, we sang Hymns.  Ryan and I both grew up singing them in church, but Parker probably won't learn them unless we sing them at home.  The first day I just sung them to him since he didn't know the words.  I sang "Seek Ye First," "Amazing Grace," and "Joyful, Joyful."  Then we counted to 30, reviewed flashcards and verses for A-G, and then I introduced letter H and the verse to go with it.

"Honor your Father and Mother." Exodus 20:12

For our Intro to Letter H activity, I cut out some H's and a few other things that he could use to make them into a house and tree's.  I just set them out like this


and let him decide where to put things.  


He made a treehouse =)


We talked about how "house" starts with H, and then I pointed out the pictures on the board.  We went on a hunt to find how many of each thing we had.  After we counted all the doors, we came back to the board and he had to find the number 4 flashcard.  Just another way to reinforce his knowledge of the numbers in text form.  Parker had a lot of fun looking for everything.
  

After we were all done, we read


Rhyming, repetitive, and lots of fun!

Day 2
We went to the store the day before and picked out canned goods for a Children's Hunger Fund box, and toys for an Operation Christmas Child box.  We were learning about helping!  The next morning, we sang our Hymns again and Parker started singing along this time.  Then we packed up the boxes.



We read some passages out of the Bible about helping others. 
Psalm 145: 13-16, 2 Corinthians 8:1-9, and James 1:26-27. 

Then we read
It's all about being a helping hand, and it has a truck, farm animals, and a dump truck in it!  
Parker loved it.  I've read that lacing is a great way to develop fine motor and reasoning skills, and I found some manipulatives in the Target dollar spot.  Plus, they were cowboy-themed shapes, which worked really well with the story.  I took out the ones that started with H.  I helped him with the hat, and he did the others on his own.   







Day 3
Honey Honey Honey!  After Hymns, we learned about hexagons and made a honeycomb out of them.


Then we read


My sister got this cool sequencing game for Parker that comes with all different groups of things to put in order.  One of them happened to work perfectly with the book.  



Now it was time to make the Honey Pumpkin Bread.  


While it was baking, we read


The bread turned out perfect.  I think these lasted maybe 24 hours...



Throughout the week, we also read




I even caught Parker teaching his little sister some Preschool =)



No comments:

Post a Comment