Thursday, June 12, 2014

Y is for Yarn

I considered being a total cop-out and just doing one day of Y and one of Z, but I resisted.  Ella was over for part of letter Y.  That was fun!  Here's what we did.

Day 1

We reviewed numbers and letters as usual.  Then the kids practiced patterns on pipe cleaners (AB, ABC, ABB, and AABB) and matched the gradients of yellow.  When they were finished with one, they switched.  It was kind of fun having a little pseudo-classroom for the day.  



 I introduced letter Y and its verse

"You are the light of the world." Matthew 7:12

For our Intro to Letter Y Activity, they wrapped Yy's with yarn.



Then they used the yarn to paint.



We finished by reading


Day 2

Today Parker started by putting the letters of his name in the right order.


Then he ordered numbers 1-15.  I was SO proud of him for being able to do that!!



Next, I got out one of his Highlights Magazines and he circled all of the Y's and things that were yellow.


Time to make a yo-yo!  He started by tracing two mason jar lids with a marker (to the best of his ability.  I had to help a little ;).  Then he colored the circles.



And cut them out.


Isn't that pretty awesome?  I can't even cut circles that well!


I cut a toilet paper tube in half and then we glued it all together...and of course I forgot to take a picture.  It didn't actually roll up like a yo-yo, but it was still fun to make.

We finished by reading


One letter left!!

No comments:

Post a Comment