Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Preschool Preface

Now that I am a stay-at-home mom, I feel like I am kind of re-defining who I am.  First and foremost, I am a child of the living God, and my sole purpose in life is to glorify Him.  So what does that look like at home?  For the first several weeks after Adley was born, I felt like I was just "managing" everything.  I didn't really have much time to play with the kids because other things needed to be done in the house.  I couldn't keep the house very tidy because I was always nursing.  I hadn't spent much time quality time with my husband, Ryan, and I definitely wasn't able to fit in any exercise.  It seemed like there was so much to take care of, that I wasn't really doing anything to the best of my ability.  Yes - having a newborn is hard and I know there is a certain chaotic period that cannot be avoided, but once Adley was about 3 months, I decided to stop being a victim of my circumstances and start living life the way I wanted to.  I took a good look at my day, and figured started prioritizing.

One thing that I really wanted to change was the amount of time I was spending with Parker.  I couldn't  possibly spend the same amount of time I was spending with him before, but I wanted to make sure that he did get a significant amount, and that it was time well spent.  I taught Kindergarten the past 3 school years, and since it was late August, I had the itch to do some lesson planning.  Put two and two together, and "Parker Prep" was born.  

I had a bunch of ideas in my head, so I mixed those with some ideas off of Pinterest.  All of these activities are geared toward 2-3 year olds.  I really wanted Parker's first "school" experience to be one that he really enjoyed and excelled at.  It's nothing too rigorous.  He still has 3 years until Kindergarten because of his Fall birthday.  It's just enough to try new things, learn new things, and build a firm foundation!

Before starting, I found a verse for each letter of the alphabet that I thought Parker could memorize and wrote them on little 3x5 cards.  I also purchased some letter flashcards, circle magnets, puff balls, water beads, buttons, feathers, finger paint, and a bin for our sensory activities.  I made it easy for you and provided all the link of what I got ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment