Monday, October 21, 2013

D is for Dr. Seuss

It's always fun trying to figure out what is worth learning for each letter.   I went through a lot of options for Letter D, and these are what I decided on.  

Day 1
We started out D week with a few songs we had already learned by Carol Peterson.  Then we learned another one of her songs, "My Pet Dinosaur."  This is a great little tune because it involves hitting a drum and it's rather short, so you can do it several times.  


 I got out the flashcards for numbers 1-10.  We counted while I flipped through them, and then we went over numbers 1, 2, and 3 so he could start recognizing them in text form.  We reviewed letters A, B and C, and their verses, and then I introduced the letter D flashcard.  Parker knew that Daddy started with D.  How cute!  Then I read and he repeated this week's verse, 
"Do to others as you would have them do to you.  Matthew 7:12."  

We moved to the table for the letter activity.  I cut out D's and laid out dot stickers for him to stick all over them.  Fine-motor practice!



He stuck a few to his face.



Then we read 


Cute, but very inaccurate.  
(Who decided that a cat always needs to be saved?  Has that ever even happened in real life?)  

Then we worked on dot patterns.  I laid out some patterns on construction paper beforehand just so they were easier to see. 


I said the first pattern for Parker, "big, little, big, little, big..." and he found the next one.  For the others, I pointed to the dots and he said the colors with me and then finished the patterns.  



Day 2
After songs, and reviewing numbers, letter D and the verse, it was time to learn about Dr. Seuss.  We have several Dr. Seuss books that we read on a regular basis, so I had Parker get those out and told him they were all written by Dr. Seuss.  I wanted to read one he had not read before.    

I chose


He laughed a lot at the names of the places and the people.  Then we looked at the spine of all the books and saw the Cat in the Hat.  We noted that his hat is always red and white striped.

We moved to the table for this Dr. Seuss matching activity. Find the original here.  It was pretty hard.  I suggest cutting apart the original and gluing the hats on a separate sheet with a little space in between so you can see them better.


Finally, we made a banana-strawberry kabob to look like the hat.  Good pictures eh?



Day 3
Parker is really liking this week's verse.  He starts off kind of soft and slow and by the end he is rather loud and points when he gets to "YOU!"  We have been able to talk about this verse really means and I really hope it comes in handy for him in the future.  I was reading last week about how Jesus was able to withstand the temptation in the desert because His mind was so saturated with the Old Testament that most of His words were directly from it.  He fought satan with scripture and won.  So, I think the reason I want to teach these verses to Parker is so when temptation comes his way, he can fight it with the living and active WORD!  That's my prayer.

Day 3 was Dinosaur Day.  We started with a Stegosaurus Math Game.  Ryan designed our little dino friend.  He's got skills.  First, we talked about how dinosaur starts with D, and then I told him a little bit about the Stegosaurus and explained the game to him.  He rolled a dice and put that number of plates on the dinosaur's back.  Then I rolled the other dice and did the same.  Finally, we counted how many plates the Stegosaurus had altogether.


 Then we read a fun, fold-out book.


 It's great for people like us who know nothing about dinosaurs.

Throughout the week, we also read

 


 and other various Dr. Seuss books.







No comments:

Post a Comment