Saturday, January 25, 2014

K is for Kitchen

I had the first several weeks of Parker Prep planned out pretty well, but now it seems like Sunday night comes and I have little to no ideas on what to do that week.  I often ask my husband what  comes to mind with certain letters, and they are almost always something I haven't already thought of.  The first thing he said was "kitchen."  I went in to the kitchen for inspiration and K week started to shape up quite nicely.  Here's what we did.

**Oh!  Let me provide some encouragement real quick to those of you who may be thinking that your child would never do these things.  I'd say about every other week, Parker starts out being a little stubborn.  He won't sing, he won't do the motions, he won't say the verses - something along those lines.  Doing preschool is a privilege, but it is also mandatory.  If he is being naughty, I do NOT threaten him by saying, "Well, I guess we aren't doing preschool today."  That's not an option.  I simply make him look me in the eyes, I tell him that we will be doing preschool and he needs to either choose to participate or he can sit on the step until he is ready.  Sometimes he changes his mind quickly, sometimes he sits on the step, but it is ALWAYS worth it to address the problem early on, rather than singing and talking to myself.**

Day 1
The sound on our computer is no longer working, so our songs have gone to a cappella =)  We sang the months of the year song, and I taught him this "King of the Jungle" song.  

One of the things I'm focusing on these next few weeks is him recognizing his name.  I wrote it on the board and put the magnetic letters below in random order.  Then he matched them up.  


When he was done, he looked up and pointed to the letters saying "Parker."  (Like he was reading it). So cute.

Next, we reviewed all of the letters and numbers, I introduced letter K, and this week's verse

"Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies."  Psalm 34:13

Then we did our Intro to K activity.  I made a big and little K on the floor with tape and got out a bunch of kitchen utensils for him to cover them with.



When he was finished, I got out a few baggies that were full of noodles.  I poured a little bit of vinegar in each bag and let him put the food coloring in. Then I closed the baggie and he shook it around until the noodles were covered.  We did the primary colors and then we mixed colors to make orange, green and purple.  



While those were drying, I had him put these measuring spoons in order from biggest to smallest.



While he was doing that, I poured a little of each of these ingredients on a cotton pad.


Then he sniffed them all and tried to match them up.  He loved doing that!  Every time we bake he always wants to smell all of the ingredients.


By this time, Adley had woken up from her nap. She was happy to join us.


The noodles were dry now, so I poured some of them on a baking sheet, gave him the tongs and a cupcake tin and showed him how he could transfer the noodles.  



He had a lot of fun doing this, too. He ended up putting one of each color in each tin.  

Then we read,


I poured all of the noodles into our sensory bin, along with some kitchen utensils and let him play in there.  Of course he brought his dump truck and skid-loader in on the fun, too =)


Day 2

This morning we sang the same songs, counted to 40 and then did this letter recognition exercise.  I wrote all of the letters on the board and he had to find and circle the K's.



I barely do anything that requires him to hold a writing utensil because his fingers aren't quite ready to hold it properly.  I just let him hold the marker however he wanted.

Next, we did some counting with kites.  I drew the picture, we talked about the shape of the kite, and how some kites have tails with bows.  Remember those bowtie noodles we dyed yesterday?  Here they are again!


He chose the number, put it in the kite and then put that many bows on the tail.  This was his first encounter with 0.  That made for a pretty boring kite tail, but it got the point across.


Then we read


It's actually a song, so I looked it up on youtube. It's quite catchy!

Finally, Ryan made a kaleidoscope with him.  It was pretty hard.  I think Ryan did most of the work.  


It didn't quite turn out as awesome as we had hoped - mostly because we didn't have translucent beads for it.  We might have to invest in some of those.

Day 3

After singing a few songs and reviewing a few things, Parker and I made Kale chips.  I make these a lot but he has never helped before, so I put him to work =)  First, he ripped the leaves off the stem.  Then I poured the olive oil on and had him stir it up with his hands.  He didn't really like doing that part.


He did enjoy putting on the pinch of salt though.


We put them in the oven at 250 and set the timer for 20 minutes.

Now it was time to learn about the King of Kings!  I got out Parker's Illustrated Children's Bible.



We flipped through and I read bits and pieces of the stories about the different kings in the Bible such as Saul, David, Solomon, Nebuchadnezzar, Darius, Josiah and Herod.  Then I explained that there is someone who is the King of everything, and that is God!  We sang this song.

He wanted to dance to it, so I sang it slow at first and got faster and faster while he danced faster and faster.  Then Ryan and I sang it in a round.  We must've sang it 50 times.  It was really fun.

We read about Jesus being born, how He was the son of God, and that
"On His robe and on His thigh, He has the name written, "KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS."  Revelation 19:16 

We finished off the week by making this crown.  I cut out the felt beforehand and just gave him different shapes, puff balls and buttons to decorate it with.  


He's usually not too crazy about arts and crafts, so you can imagine my surprise when he made this!


 I wasn't sure that they would all stay on when we glued them, so I ended up just putting the glue in a line along the bottom and a few random dots for him to cover with whatever he wanted.  I haven't taken a picture of the final product yet!  It's pretty cool though =)


Throughout the week, we also read

No comments:

Post a Comment